The church is called the body of Christ for a very good reason. The Apostle Paul says this when he writes to the Church at Corinth (1 Corinthians 12). Have you ever thought about what it would be like if the members of our physical bodies behaved like the members of the spiritual body sometimes do? It will bring a smile to your face and then a sober look.
- HEART - "I’m just stuck in a rut. For the last 25 years all I do is beat, beat, beat. Nothing new or different and I’m getting tired. I think it is time for someone else to step up and do this job. Okay, feet, it’s up to you. You pump the blood for a while.”
- FEET - “Heart, you think you have it so tough, try having someone walk on you all day. It is no ‘walk in the park’ (excuse the pun). Step after step and block after block, even mile after mile. You try doing my job. You think you have it so tough.”
- LUNGS: “Hey! Don’t forget about us. We are so under-appreciated around here. I don’t think the other members of the body realize the enormity of our task. None of you could do your job without us. Maybe we should just quit for a while and then, after a few minutes, you would understand how important our task is. The brain thinks he’s big stuff. The feet? Let them do without some oxygen for a while and we’ll see how important they are! The brain is the one that thinks he is so important - I would call it uppity.”
- BRAIN - “What? Lungs, who do you think you are? I am the center of the body. No organ or member could exist without my cognitive ability. Who do you think coordinates all the activity around here? Scientists say that to replace me would cost billions of dollars - BILLIONS!” I am certainly more valuable than any of you or the liver.”
- LIVER - "Why do I get all the dirty work? You think it’s fun making bile around the clock? I’ve been in this body for a quarter of a century and do you think anyone has ever asked me to make any decisions, pump any blood, take any steps, or perform any functions that are noticeable outside the body? Sometimes I wonder why I bother. I feel so unimportant. The appendix is really the part of this body that is useless. And you can quote me."
- APPENDIX - "Do I hear you dissing me, liver? How dare you. I have to admit that I have a front row seat to watch all these parts of the body function. Day after day, hour after hour, they work themselves do death (literally). I am just along for the ride. Why contribute when I can just sit here and get the same nutrients and oxygen that all the other parts of the body get? Why get involved? Being lazy isn’t so bad!"
Do you get the point? The individual parts that make up our bodies were created specifically for certain tasks within the body as a whole. The physical body works as a finely tuned machine when all the organs and members do what they were uniquely gifted to do. So does the church when every person finds their place and works at doing their job by using the spiritual gifts given to them by the Lord. You may not be the heart, or the feet, or the lungs, or the brain or the liver. But you may be the finger, or the ear, or the eye, ot the big toe and when you do what you are supposed to do, everyone wins!
There are no unimportant parts in the body of Christ - well except the appendix. Just make sure you are not an appendix in our church.
This Sunday we continue our short study on “Who Has Your __________?” and this week emphasize, “Who Has Your Spiritual Gifts?” I hope you will make a special effort to join others this Sunday morning at 10:30.
Remember, you are loved and appreciated.